Make your way through an abandoned factory safely.
“Nemesis” is a single player map designed for Half Life 2: Episode 2. “Nemesis” playable space consists of an old factory building and sewer shafts that connect the compound. The primary focus of the level is an Ant Lion Guardian that constantly tries to kill the player. With only the gravity gun and no explosive objects found initially, the player must navigate through the factory while avoiding the Guardian. The final encounter happens when the player fights the Guardian behind the factory.
Design Goal: Interesting Flow
In order for "Nemesis" to engage the player, I knew movement throughout the level had to be interesting. Standard combat doesn't exist within the level with traditional firearms. Furthermore, simply running away from an overpowered enemy would not make a fun level. To give the interesting flow I utilized:
- Frequent changes in verticality
- Wow moments
Design Goal: Challenge the Player to Mind their Surroundings
Another key element for the map's success was interesting puzzles. Although excited with the layout of "Nemesis" and the fast paced movement it would offer, I felt environmental puzzles would be a great addition for the following reasons:
- It would provide a great counter balance to the fast-paced nature of the map and the Guardian
- Puzzles would challenge the player to be observant as they navigated the play space
- Completion of puzzles offer an additional sense of accomplishment
- Environmental puzzles such as the ventilation fan in the sewer could provide a wow moment